Community Profile: Halton-Peel
Led by the arrival of newcomers, this richly diverse region is growing at nearly three times the rate of the rest of the province; employment growth outpacing the province
Between 2001 and 2006, the population in Halton-Peel grew
at nearly three times the rate (17.2%) of the province overall (6.6%) and faster than the previous five year period. In fact, Milton had the highest growth rate (71.4%) of any municipality in all of Canada. In 2006, one in eight Ontarians lived in Halton-Peel, with Peel reporting nearly three times as many residents than Halton. During this period, 131,325 newcomers settled in Halton-Peel, accounting for 56% of the total population growth. In addition, the number of employed people increased substantially (14.5%) between 2001 and 2006, significantly outpacing the provincial growth of people employed (7.9%). While individuals in Halton have a substantially higher average income than Ontario overall, Peel's average individual income is lower than the provincial average. The complete Halton-Peel Community Profile includes population, labour force, education, income and language information. Download the full report
(pdf) or view the slideshow
Also: Diversity in Halton-Peel
- Between 2001 and 2006, Halton-Peel's youth population (13 - 24) increased by 42,575 individuals. This represents an increase of 19.1% and accounted for almost one-third of the growth in the number of youth in Ontario.
- Halton-Peel has a younger population compared to the province overall. Just 10% of residents are 65 years of age or older. One in five people are 14 or younger - one of the highest proportions in the province.
- The Francophone population in Halton-Peel increased 10.5% between 2001 and 2006, but its proportion of the total population declined slightly.
- More than 200 different mother tongue languages other than English or French were reported by Halton-Peel residents - Punjabi, Urdu and Polish being the top three.
- The South Asian community is Halton-Peel's largest visible minority group.
- Halton-Peel has a very small Aboriginal community - accounting for less than 0.5% of the total population.