Muskoka, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Timiskaming
Only northern region with significant growth; population is older and less diverse than other parts of the province with higher concentration of Métis people
Muskoka, Nipissing, Parry Sound and Timiskaming (MNPST) is the only region in Ontario's north to show significant population growth between 2001 and 2006. Although the growth rate (3%) is less than half of the overall provincial rate (6.6%), this region's population increase has reversed a declining trend from the previous census. MNPST has an older population than the province overall.
Each area in the region has a higher median age, a smaller portion of people under 14, and a higher proportion of seniors. In fact, of all the regions in Ontario, MNPST has the highest proportion of people over the age of 65 with almost 1 in 5 people being seniors.
In addition, MNPST is also the only region in the north to experience employment growth (7.8%) close to the provincial rate (7.9%) between 2001 and 2006. The complete MNPST Community Profile includes population, labour force,
education, income and language information.
Download the full report (pdf) or view the slideshow (pps)
Francophone Communities - MNPST
- MNPST's Francophone community is declining, unlike the province overall. Still, Francophones comprise 15% of the total population of this region - much higher than Ontario as a whole (4.6%).
- MNPST's Aboriginal community grew by one-quarter between 2001 and 2006 and comprises 6% of the total population - a larger proportion than the province overall (2%).
- While the median incomes were lower than provincial figures, there were proportionately fewer low income families compared to the province overall.
- As of 2006, MNPST's unemployment rate was slightly higher than Ontario overall (7.0% compared to 6.4%). Nipissing had the highest rate of unemployment in the region (8.3%).
- MNPST has a high proportion of residents with apprenticeships or trade certificates (18%) compared to other regions across the province.
- Parry Sound has the highest proportion of seniors (21%) of all areas in MNPST.
- Muskoka is one of the only two areas in Ontario's north where the youth population increased by more than 5% - Kenora District being the other.