To be considered, all applications must align with the OTF Investment Strategy.
Yes. View and print the application questions in advance by clicking on Apply for a Grant. Click on the investment stream you are applying for under #6 – “Review Application Questions and Assessment Criteria.” You can start working on answering the application questions while you wait for your registration to be verified. Save your answers in a Word document, then cut and paste them into the application once you have access to OTF’s online portal.
Grant result metrics are necessary for grantees to achieve. They are part of the Grant Contract obligations. To help support our grantees, OTF staff stay in frequent touch with our grantees. Grantees who are not successful at achieving grant results may have their grant, or a portion of the grant, rescinded.
Word counts help simplify and ensure equity of content across OTF applications, and are to encourage clear and concise responses.
OTF will not fund organizations that discriminate, or that seek to limit the legal rights and activities of people.
Your organization is not aligned with this policy if:
- Your organization treats people differently based on age, gender, sexual orientation, family status or religious belief. For example, if women are treated differently from men, if your group won’t rent its community hall to a gay organization, or if only members of your religion can participate in activities and events.
- Your organizational publications and website promote or communicate discriminatory practices.
- You seek to limit the legal rights and activities of people — for example, campaigning against same-sex marriage or organizing interventions to prevent women from seeking abortion information.
- You restrict staffing, program content, or who can participate in programs based on any of the protected grounds cited in the OTF Anti-Discrimination Policy.
OTF generally considers an organization financially healthy if it has no more than a 15% deficit.
Your deficit (calculated as your internally restricted/unrestricted net assets) should not exceed 15% of annual expenses.
- If your organization has a deficit greater than 5%, you must submit a plan explaining why and how you intend to reduce it.
- The plan must include details such as monetary targets to reduce the accumulated deficit, and
- Must be reasonable and achievable – and give a clear picture of your deficit situation and plans to remedy.
No. The OTF registration and application process is only available online. We cannot accept registration details or attachments by mail or email.
OTF holds back a proportion of all grant funds until the grantee has submitted the final report and until OTF has reviewed and verified the satisfactory completion of the grant.
For Seed and Capital grants, 10% of the approved grant budget will be held back.
For Grow grants, 10% of the grant budget for the final year of the grant will be held back.
We strongly recommend that organizations register well ahead of application deadline dates.
OTF cannot guarantee that registrations submitted less than four (4) weeks before a grant application deadline will be verified in time to provide access to and submission of a grant application. To register your organization, go to Apply for a Grant and click on Organization Registration.
No. We recognize and celebrate that everyone is entitled to their faith, opinions and thoughts. Religious freedom is an important human right in Ontario. However, as a public agency, OTF cannot use public funds to support organizations whose practices do not treat everyone with the dignity and fairness they are entitled to; nor can OTF fund organizations who seek to limit the legitimate legal rights and activities of people.