Financial Workbook Instructions – Resilient Communities Fund
The information on this page is updated for the Resilient Communities Fund grant deadline of December 7, 2022.
Before completing the Financial Workbook of your Resilient Communities Fund grant application, please review the requirements and examples below.
The costs listed in the Financial Workbook should clearly align with your project activities and be reasonable to carry out.
- In the Financial Workbook, only include eligible project costs to be covered by OTF.
- Ask only for what you need, because OTF funds full request amounts and we want to fund as many applications as possible.
- Only project activities that take place in Ontario are eligible for OTF funding.
Refer to OTF’s Eligibility Policy for more information.
How much can you apply for?
- Applicants can apply for a minimum of $10,000, and up to $200,000, with a maximum of $100,000 per year.
- Grant term length can be from 6 to 24 months.
What can you apply for?
- Direct Personnel Costs
- Direct Non-Personnel Costs
- Purchased services
- Workshops, meetings, convening
- Supplies and materials
- Evaluation (max. 10% of OTF grant budget)
- Non-fixed equipment and/or technological infrastructure (max. $150,000 of OTF grant budget)
- Overhead and Administration Costs (max. 15% of OTF grant budget)
For a full description of eligible costs with examples, review the sample OTF Grant Budget Table.
What costs are ineligible?
If you include ineligible costs, your grant application will be declined. For a description of ineligible costs, review OTF’s Eligibility Policy.
Some ineligible costs include:
- Taxes, such as GST and HST, for which the recipient is eligible for a tax rebate, and all other costs eligible for rebates.
- Contingency costs.
- Costs incurred before the approval of the OTF grant.
Requirements for quotes or estimates
For each good and/or service valued above $10,000, OTF requires that a minimum of one quote or estimate be uploaded with the grant application. However, OTF prefers to receive two or more quotes or estimates to help your organization establish accurate budget amounts and demonstrate the best value for money.
- Multiple sub-contracts with a supplier on the same project will be considered as a cumulative total. This means if the total of these goods and/or services exceeds $10,000, a minimum of one quote or estimate (preferably two or more) from different suppliers needs to be uploaded for each good or service.
- All documentation needs to be prepared by a professional or third party and must be obtained within 6 months prior to the application deadline.
You will need to upload your quotes in your application.
OTF grant budget notes
- Notes are required in the budget.
- Use the notes section to breakdown the costs of your project activities.
- Ensure that each note corresponds only to the related cost.
|OTF Budget Category||Description||Example notes|
|Direct Personnel Costs||Salaries, mandatory employment-related costs and employee benefits for staff positions funded specifically to carry out the project.||1 FTE – Project Manager: Digital Specialist, mandatory employment-related costs, and employee benefits $25/hr x 40 hrs/week + 25%MERC x 52 weeks = $65,000|
|Direct Non-Personnel Costs||All non-personnel costs directly related to project delivery.|
Services purchased including the services of consultants / contractors / subject experts specifically relating to the delivery of the project.
|Workshops, Meetings, Convening||Virtual or in-person meeting/convening costs incurred relating to the delivery of the project.||
|Supplies and Materials||Items purchased specifically for use in the delivery of the project.||
|Travel||Travel costs incurred by employees, volunteers and participants, that are directly related to delivering the project.||
Evaluation costs such as project evaluation, survey administration, evaluation reporting can be included in your OTF Grant Budget.
Apply for a max. of 10% of the OTF grant budget.
|Non-fixed equipment and/or technological infrastructure||
Non-fixed equipment and/or technological infrastructure purchased specifically for use in the delivery of the project.
Apply for a max. of $150,000 in the OTF grant budget.
|Overhead and Administration Costs||
OTF will support overhead and administrative costs directly associated with the funded project, to a maximum of 15% of the total OTF grant budget. These do not include the direct costs to run or deliver the project, including the staff or equipment associated with the project but include a portion of regular operational expenses that can be attributed specifically to this project.
Please refer to the Overhead and Administrative Costs Policy for further details.
Total funding requested from OTF